Sunday, June 22, 2008

Before & After

I can't remember why, exactly, but I was browsing old photos of old trolley buses in Ottawa (perhaps it was because I did not know that there had ever been any in Ottawa...)

I landed at this photo, and immediately I recognized the building behind it as none other than the one where the re-Cycles Bicycle Co-op moved into just a couple short months ago.

The same night, I went and took a photo, but it was too dark to illustrate the comparison properly. This afternoon I wandered over and took another photo (tip: if you want to take the same photo, go a couple steps South of the wooden street post nearest Gladstone on the South-West side of Bronson).

I've cropped my photo to have almost the same dimensions as the 1950's one, and the resemblance is uncanny. You may want to open each photo in a separate tab and ctrl+tab between the two tabs quickly for comparison. Can you notice all the differences?




Some of the major differences I notice (aside from the lack of stylish vehicles) are: more trees, fewer signs, fewer posts and wires, the apartment building in the background, the entirely different façade, and the sign over the alleyway.

Neat!

(This post has been retroactively added to the Centretown Heritage Project series)

No comments:

Post a Comment