Friday, November 19, 2010

Yet another sign of winter

The Rideau Canal Skateway chalets recently made a trip through Centretown, and in a similar expression of Ottawa's love of the skate blade, the ice rink boards set up at area parks for the winter. Here's a shot of the City workers delivering the Boards to McNabb Park.

I have fond memories of this ice rink. When I attended McNabb Park Public School (which has since closed and re-opened as an alternative school), I remember skating on the rink for my fifteen-minute recesses. After walking down to the far end of the yard, putting the skates on and taking them off, I only got about five minutes of actual skate time!

When I was in grade 2 or 3, there was a kid in grade 4 or 5 who was much taller than all the others. He had quite the reputation for being one of the most athletically proficient kids in school. But when it came to ice time and hockey, he didn't so much skate as he walked with skates on. It was a reassuring lesson that nobody's perfect.

[Look for more one-photo posts under the label Singles]

No comments:

Post a Comment