Monday, January 17, 2011

Reflection on Kent Street

While taking some photos of the existing Place de Ville "Podium" building, which is proposed to be demolished for a new office tower at 300 Sparks (mid block of Sparks, Queen, Kent, Lyon), I also took photos of the Mariott. On my way back to my bike, I snapped a couple shots of 240 Sparks' renovated entrance on Kent (before moving on to Bank and Queen, where I snapped last Monday's post post). While I was trying to take a photo of the suspension device for 240 Sparks' new glass wall, I inadvertently got a good shot of the Mariott in the reflection.

The Podium building houses the former three-screen Capitol Square cinema, which replaced the celebrated Capitol Theatre. You can read a bit more about the Podium building at Spacing Ottawa, and in Alain Miguelez' book on the history of screens in Ottawa, A Theatre Near You.

[Look for more one-photo posts under the label Singles]

3 comments:

  1. love your work! have added you to my blog list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion, instead of them replacing the Place de ville podium building with a 19 storey office building, I think that Brookfield properties should spend money fixing the elevator and escalator and installing new seats and screens. With the closing of both the Rideau centre cinemas and the World Exchange Plaza movie theaters, there is no more movie theater left downtown. To me, it is ridiculous that one has to take a bus in the suburbs just to see a movie. Spend money on renovating the Place de ville Podium cinemas.
    Silvia Logan

    ReplyDelete
  3. MOVIE THEATERS DOWNTOWN:
    With the closing of both the Rideau centre cinemas and the World Exchange plaza movie theater, I think that Brookfield property should make an effort in fixing the elevator and the escalator at the Place de Ville podium building. In my opinion, I suggest that one should install new seats and screens at the Place de Ville podium building instead of building a 19 storey office building. To me, it is ridiculous that one has to take the bus just to go see a movie in the suburbs or at Lansdowne park. At least, leave one movie theater opened downtown.

    Silvia Logan

    ReplyDelete